dr. F. Belfiori
Microwave Sensing, Signals and Systems (MS3), Department of Microelectronics
PhD thesis (Jul 2013): Antenna Array Signal Processing for Multistatic Radar Systems
Promotor: P. Hoogeboom
Francesco Belfiori was born in Roma, Italy, on September 6, 1982. He received the B.Sc. and the M.Sc. degrees, both summa cum laude, from the �Universita� degli Studi di Roma � La Sapienza� in 2004 and 2007 respectively. After his graduation he worked as a software engineer at ElsagDatamat s.p.a. and then as a research and development engineer in the Electronics Division of D�Appolonia s.p.a.. During this period he conducted applied research activities in the fields of electronics, radar and remote sensing, signal and image processing.
In 2009 he joined the International Research Centre for Telecommunications and Radar (IRCTR) of the Delft University of Technology as a PhD student. In 2012 he won the best student paper award at the International Conference on Radar Systems (IET2012). In 2013 he received the Ph.D. degree with a thesis entitled �Antenna Array Signal Processing for Multistatic Radar Systems�. The research activity was conducted in cooperation with the radar group of TNO � Defence, Security and Safety in The Hague.
From February 2013 till March 2014 he was a Post-Doctoral researcher within the Microwave Sensing, Signals and Systems (MS3) group at the Delft University of Technology and his research interests were in passive and MIMO radars, antenna array signal processing and high resolution techniques. He is a member of IEEE and serves as a reviewer for IEEE, IET, Elsevier and Springer journals.
- STW-WAMTI: Wideband Algorithms for Migrating Targets Indication: Study using the PARSAX radar
- FP7-UFO: Ultra-Fast wind sensors for wake-vortex hazards mitigation
The application of ad-hoc signal processing techniques to array based radars leads to increased flexibility and enhanced performance of the overall surveillance system. Multiple beams synthesis, array pattern shaping and the capability of suppressing/mitigating the effect of intentional (jammer) and casual (multipath) interferences are among the main advantages offered by the phased array technology.
Recently, array based systems have been used in passive radar applications with the aim of suppressing the direct signal coming from the transmitter of opportunity. Furthermore, the exploitation of circular array configurations can ensure a complete angular coverage, that represents an asset especially for air traffic control operations. By referring to this type of array structures, an extensive research has been conducted and it led to the development of novel array processing algorithms aimed at covering the all signal processing chain of an FM circularly array-based passive radar demonstrator. [1, 10, 11].
An emerging technique in the radar field is represented by the Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) approach. By transmitting orthogonal waveforms, by means of multiple transmitters, it is possible, at the receiver side, to synthesise virtual array channels and to improve either the detection performance (statistical MIMO) or the angular resolution (coherent MIMO) of the radar. The additional degrees of freedom can also be exploited, in the coherent case, in order to apply high resolution processing techniques which usually require large arrays to be effective. With respect to that, an innovative 2D high resolution algorithm, based on the Multiple Signal Classification (MUSIC) processing, has been developed and successfully validated.[3, 4, 5]
-  F. Belfiori, S. Monni, W. van Rossum and P. Hoogeboom, �'Antenna array characterisation and signal processing for an FM radio based PCL radar system�, IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, accepted for publication.
-  F. Belfiori, W. van Rossum and P. Hoogeboom, �Coherent MIMO Array Design with Periodical Physical Element Structures�, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, DOI: 10.1109/LAWP.2011.2176463, pp. 1341-1344, 2011.
-  F. Belfiori, W. van Rossum and P. Hoogeboom, �A Coherent MUSIC Technique for Range/Angle Information Retrieval: Application to an FMCW MIMO Radar," Invited paper - to appear in Radar, Sonar and Navigation, IET, Special Issue on Bistatic and MIMO Radars and their Applications in Surveillance and Remote Sensing.
-  F. Belfiori, W. van Rossum and P. Hoogeboom, �Application of 2D MUSIC Algorithm to Range-Azimuth FMCW Radar Data�, IEEE European Microwave Week, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 28 October � 2 November, 2012.
-  F. Belfiori, W. van Rossum and P. Hoogeboom, �2D-MUSIC Technique Applied to a Coherent FMCW MIMO Radar," IET International Conference on Radar Systems (Radar 2012), Oct. 2012, Glasgow, Scotland. (Awarded with the best student paper prize).
-  F. Belfiori, W. van Rossum and P. Hoogeboom, �Array Calibration Technique for a Coherent MIMO Radar�, 13th International Radar Symposium IRS-2012, Warsaw, Poland, 23-25 May, 2012.
-  F. Belfiori, W. van Rossum and P. Hoogeboom, �Random Transmission Scheme Approach for a FMCW TDMA Coherent MIMO Radar�, IEEE � AESS Radarcon 2012, Atlanta, USA, 7-11 May, 2012.
-  F. Belfiori, L. Anitori, W. van Rossum, M. Otten and P. Hoogeboom, �Digital Beam Forming and Compressive Sensing Based DOA Estimation in MIMO Arrays�, IEEE European Microwave Week, Manchester, UK, 9 - 14 October, 2011.
-  F. Belfiori, N. Maas, P. Hoogeboom and W. van Rossum, �TDMA X-Band FMCW Radar for Short Range Surveillance Applications�, European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Rome, Italy, 11-15 April, 2011.
-  F. Belfiori, P. Hoogeboom, �Analysis of a Novel MIMO System for Security Applications�, IEEE International Symposium on Phased Array Systems and Technology, Waltham-Boston, USA, 12-15 October, 2010.
-  F. Belfiori, S. Monni, W. van Rossum and P. Hoogeboom, �Side-Lobe Suppression Techniques for a Uniform Circular Array�, IEEE European Microwave Week, Paris, France, 26 September - 1 October, 2010.
-  F. Belfiori, S. Monni, W. van Rossum and P. Hoogeboom, �Mutual Coupling Compensation Applied to a Uniform Circular Array�, IEEE Microwave and Radar Week, Vilnius, Lithuania, 14 - 18 June, 2010.
-  P. Hoogeboom and F. Belfiori, �Antenna System, Radar Device and Radar Methodology with 360 Degree Coverage�, European Patent Office, Publication No. WO2011112084, September 2011.
Wideband Algorithms for Migrating Targets Indication
- Polarimetric Channels Exploitation for Improved Target Detection: Preliminary Experiments with the PARSAX Radar System
Francesco Belfiori; Oleg Krasnov; Alexander Yarovoy;
In Proceedings of the 15th International Radar Symposium (IRS 2014), 16-18 June 2014, Gdansk, Poland.,
pp. 1-4, June 2014.
- Monopulse on transmit by means of orthogonal probing signals: Theoretical and experimental validations
Belfiori, F.; Babur, G.; Aubry, P.; Le Chevalier, F.,;
In Processing of the International Radar Conference 2014, Lille, October 13-17, 2014,
pp. 1-4, October 2014.
- Antenna Array Signal Processing for Multistatic Radar Systems
PhD thesis, Delft University of Technology, Delft, July 2013.
Last updated: 26 Dec 2018